When it comes to eCommerce, reviews are crucial. Did you know that 95% of consumers read reviews before making an online purchase? Not to mention that 72% of consumers will not take action unless they have first read reviews on a product or service. Reviews are powerful for eCommerce, and they can make or break your sales on eBay.
Amazon seller feedback was not the first instance of online reviews, but it is one of the most notable. Thanks to Amazon and other online retailers, customer reviews are more popular than ever. If you have ever received a negative review, your heart probably dropped. It’s possible your product or service didn’t meet expectations, or your customer could have had a negative experience through no fault of your own. Whatever the reason, you start to wonder how a negative review will affect your sales.
For eBay sellers, customers read countless reviews and check your seller ratings before purchasing a product from you. A reported 88% of customers are influenced by reviews when making a buying decision. So, how do you deal with negative eBay feedback?
Can eBay Sellers Change Feedback They Have Received?
Receiving a negative review will cause any seller to wonder how to change feedback on eBay. You know how important reviews are to attract and retain customers, and you do not want a bad review to affect your sales. While it is not possible to change the feedback left by a buyer on eBay, there are some eBay feedback revision steps you can take.
Your first step is to ask buyers to revise their feedback. If someone left a negative review, you can reach out to them in order to rectify the situation. Many customers will appreciate you taking the time to correct their order or find a solution to their problem. Your attention to customer service may turn a dissatisfied customer into a happy customer. If this is the case, you can ask the buyer to revise their feedback.
How to request eBay feedback revision:
You have 30 days after a buyer leaves feedback to request a revision. Resolve the issues noted by your customer in their feedback as quickly as possible so you can request that they change their feedback before the 30 days are up. To request a revision, follow these steps.
- Visit the Request a Feedback Revision page within your eBay account, here.
- Complete the request by selecting which feedback you would like the buyer to revise.
- Select the reason you are requesting the customer change their feedback.
- Submit your request
- Once your request for eBay feedback revision is received, the buyer has 10 days to make a change.
- eBay will help the buyer revise their feedback if they choose to do so.
- The new rating and comments will appear. The old comments will not be visible on eBay going forward.
- If the buyer declines to make a revision, there is not much you can do. It is up to them to revise their feedback or not.
- You can always respond to feedback and your response will appear publicly next to the original comment.
Remember that you can only request revised feedback five times per year. For every 1,000 ratings you get, you will receive an additional five eBay feedback revision requests. Unused feedback revision requests to not roll over from year to year.
How to Remove Negative Feedback on eBay that is Unfair:
Unfortunately, reviews on eBay are not always accurate and fair. If you are subject to an unfair review, you can ask eBay to remove it. Be aware that you will have to provide proof of your reasoning to remove the feedback and request that it is removed within 90 days of posting. eBay may remove feedback for the following reasons.
- The buyer posted inappropriate content in the feedback. In this case, eBay will remove the inappropriate comment but not the feedback rating. This type of issue may include:
- Offensive language
- Other explicit content
- Personally identifiable information that is not allowed in eBay feedback
- A buyer claimed their item was not shipped or delivered. For this instance, you will have to provide proof that you shipped the item on time. Tracking data can help support your claims and prove a delivery was made. Sometimes, the issue is with the tracking data on eBay.
- Feedback is false. If someone leaves an untrue comment about your product or service, you can request that eBay remove it. However, you will have to provide proof that the feedback is untrue.
Stop Negative Feedback on eBay Before It Starts
It is not uncommon for customers to leave negative feedback that you do not feel is justified. In these cases, it is best to request feedback revisions or ask eBay to remove the feedback altogether. However, in most situations, it is up to you to address negative feedback in a way that benefits your customer. More importantly, you should do your best to provide excellent products, so customers never have a reason to complain.